Our newest Fauxmage, Everything Bagel Style, has quickly become our most popular flavour. It’s SO good that it usually doesn’t even make it into recipes…most people sit down with a container, a bag of crackers and a knife and suddenly the container is empty!
But this recipe is worth saving a container for. Chef Trisha Gordon wowed us with this one – the lentil mushroom base is so flavourful – especially when paired with the Everything Bagel Style Mashed Potato topping.
Let us know if you try this recipe out – we’d love to hear what you think!
Everything Bagel Style Shepherd’s Pie
Lentil Mushroom Mixture
veg oil for sautéing
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, small dice
1 stalk of celery, small dice
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp water
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup dried green lentils
1⁄2 cup frozen green peas
splash of good balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 cup dry red wine
4 cups veg stock
1. In a cast iron pan, heat a bit of veg oil. When pan is hot add mushrooms. Cook until golden
brown. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, sauté onion, carrot & celery in veg oil until softened. Add garlic and cook 3 more
minutes. Season with S & P
3. Add tomato paste & smoked paprika. Cook while stirring for 1 minute.
4. Add red wine and browned mushrooms. Let it cook down a bit.
5. Now add dried lentils, rosemary, veg stock and season with more S & P
6. Add maple syrup, balsamic vinegar & soy sauce.
7. Simmer until lentils are cooked. (lentils should be soft but still have some texture)
8. Add vegan butter & frozen peas.
9. Now mix cornstarch & water mixture (slurry) and add to lentil mixture. Simmer while stirring for
a few minutes until thickened.
10. Taste and adjust seasoning.
11. Cool completely
Everything Bagel Mashed Potato Topping
• 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 1 container Fauxmage Everything Bagel cheese
• 2 tbsp vegan butter
• 1⁄2 cup oat milk, heated
1. Add potatoes to a pot and cover with cold water. Season with a few good pinches of salt.
2. Boil potatoes until softened.
3. Drain well then add to a bowl along with Fauxmage, vegan butter & oat milk. Mash together.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cool completely
Assembly & Baking
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Spoon lentil & mushroom mixture into an 8×8 square (or equivalent) ceramic baking
3. Top with even layer of mashed potato mixture. (don’t try to smooth it down, leave
rough/rustic bits so the potatoes can more easily brown.
4. Dot the top with a bit of extra vegan butter.
5. Bake on a sheet pan for 25-30 minutes.
6. Broil at the end to brown the topping a bit.
7. Let cool slightly, garnish with freshly chopped parsley if desired, then serve.