Chef Michaela is a passionate vegan chef on PEI and we were delighted when she sent us over her famous lasagna recipe.
This lasagna is actually a triple whammy – you’ll get a recipe for Tofu Ricotta, Fauxmage Bolognese Sauce, and the Roasted Butternut Squash Bechamel.
Put them all together and you’ll get the flavour-packed lasagna of your dreams.
Fauxmage Bolognese Sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 package Gardein Meatless Ground (390g)*
1 medium onion, small dice
1 celery stalk, small dice
1 large carrot, small dice
2 tsp each basil and oregano, dried
1/2-1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp each garlic and onion powder
1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, knorr
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
1- 156 mL can tomato paste
1- 796 mL can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 Tbsp sugar or maple syrup
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 tbsp salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup Chili Lime Fauxmage (or Fauxmage of choice)
1) Add the first 5 ingredients to a large pot on medium/high heat. Stir frequently
and allow the veggies and ground to sauté for 5-10 minutes. Add the herbs
and spices to the pot. Stir.
2) Deglaze the pot with the wine (if using) and allow it to reduce, 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the tomatoes, water, sugar and seasonings and bring it up to a simmer.
Allow the sauce to cook for 1 hour at a low simmer. Stir occasionally.
4) The sauce should be thick. Turn off the heat and add minced garlic, and
Fauxmage. Stir until smooth and allow the residual heat of the sauce to cook
the garlic. Taste to adjust seasonings and enjoy!
*You can substitute the Gardein Meatless Ground for Yves, Lentils or Beans
Roasted Butternut Squash Bechamel
1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and large dice
5 garlic cloves, peeled
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp thyme, dried
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 c dairy-free milk or water
2 tbsp dairy-free butter, Earth Balance
2 tbsp All Purpose GF flour, or regular all purpose
1 1/4 cup dairy-free milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8th tsp nutmeg
Fresh cracked black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400 F. Add squash, garlic, thyme, oil, salt and pepper to a baking dish, toss together and bake for 45 minutes or until very tender.
2) Remove the thyme stems and put all ingredients into a blender with liquid of choice. Blend until smooth.
3) Meanwhile, in a small pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add your flour and whisk. Cook together for 2-3 minutes. Add your dairy free milk slowly and whisking as you go. Allow the béchamel to come together with no lumps and add your seasonings. Allow the béchamel to cook on medium/low for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add your blended garlic and squash mixture and remove from the heat. Set aside.
Kalamata Tofu Ricotta
1 pkg tofu, medium or firm, drained
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dairy-free milk
3 garlic cloves, peeled
8-10 kalamata olives, pitted
2 tbsp parsley, fresh
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth or resembles ricotta.
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. In a 9×13 dish, begin with a thin layer of Fauxmage Bolognese. Top with a layer of ready bake lasagna noodles. Add half of the béchamel, and then another layer of noodles. Add a layer of bolognese and half of the tofu ricotta. Add another layer of noodles, and repeat the last layer once more. Add another layer of noodles on top of the last of the tofu and cover with the last of the béchamel. Add one more layer of noodles, top with bolognese and crumble your favourite Fauxmage. We love Chili Lime! Bake in the oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
2) Allow it to cool slightly before cutting and serve topped with leftover sauce.