French Onion Soup with Everything Bagel Fauxmage
Yield: 30 stuffed mushrooms
- 1 x 180 g container Creamy Pesto Fauxmage
- ¼ cup Baked Feta Style Fauxmage
- 30 button mushrooms (smaller bite sized ones yet still big enough to stuff)
- ¼ cup panko crumbs + a bit more to garnish
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 2 cups packed spinach, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- veg oil as needed
1. Remove stems from 30 mushrooms, chop stems and set aside. Use a small sharp knife to gently remove some of the inner gills from mushrooms. This helps create a larger space for adding the filling.
2. Over medium high heat, add a drizzle of veg oil to a skillet. Add chopped stems and red pepper. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sweat until almost softened. Add garlic and cook a few minutes longer, then fold in spinach until wilted. Remove from heat, set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl add the creamy pesto & baked feta fauxmage. Fold in vegetable mixture to fauxmage while still warm. Add panko crumbs and chopped parsley. Gently stir together until evenly combined. Cool completely, pop in the fridge while you prepare the mushroom caps.
4. In a skillet add a generous drizzle of veg oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms in a single layer and cook until they just begin to soften, flipping halfway through. Their liquid will begin to release and they will be a bit pliable. Place par cooked mushrooms on a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Stuff each mushroom with the filling (rounded). If you have extra filling, (just depends on size of mushrooms used) you can cook off a few more mushrooms as needed, or use the extra filling anywhere you want to add some cheesy flavour (eg I stirred my extra into vegan egg/tofu scramble)
6. Sprinkle stuffed mushrooms with more panko crumbs then drizzle each mushroom with a bit of melted vegan butter.
7. Cook mushrooms in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until bubbling hot, and crumbs are toasty.
8. Cool slightly and serve as finger food with other nibbles or as an appetizer.